Monday 19 October 2015

Meshack's Drones (4): Warri Connection

Happy new month from the desk of the ReadyWriter. My long absence has been occasioned by the usual Lagos hustle, plus the travels on the ever on-going constructions of the inter-state highways and of course the tons of words I have to read through and write in recent times. Whatever the case, the hunter is always happy his trap could catch something at the end of the week, it could have been worse. I am sure my ready readers can adapt the proverb to the situation. Today I share some lessons from one of my recent and interesting travel to a beautiful, ancient and small city called Warri.

Its been about 3 years since I last traveled to Warri. It is home for me because of the several extended family members that live there and are fond of me. Uncle and his family nicknamed me "Prof" because of the academic feats i achieved in primary and secondary schools (don't ask which, *i had an F9 in CRK). Maybe that's what influenced my decision to pursue academics and bag my professorship before i am 35. That dream I intend to follow with all passion and intent. As i travel through the annoyingly bad roads, in the initial anger of the delay, I remember my last journey with my brother. It was then when I had gone on holiday from the JSS1 break. Interestingly I wasn't going back to continue JSS2.I was going to continue JSS3 and he had told me the good news of how my school board had sat and made the decision with my mother's final consent. we talked about it all the way as we made our way through the ancient Benin City. By the time we approached the Benin-Ore road, he began to teach me some Advance Agric Science. Err, Agric was not my subject but he had a dream to have one of Africa's largest farms at the time. So i guess I was his first "intern" and right now I am trying to recollect the essence of that lecture. Yes it was some intense gist about green-ness. Way before the green movement began in the world. He explained the reason why the taller trees were greener than the shorter ones- the whole sunlight chemical interaction. My bro and I indeed had some nice growing up moments, and I am sure some of you don't know this green movement nor the reason why some trees are greener than some. Your opportunity to quickly Google and read it up.

Things have really changed. In those days (2002), telephones were not allowed when travelling. the major reason was insecurity. That is why i totally agree BokoHaram did not start yesterday. Transport services would advice everyone to put off their phones for the entirety of the journey which was a standard 5 hours and or more. their reasoning was in order for us passengers not to be the pawns strategizing the envisaged highway robbery. No one could be trusted oh. If you were caught making a call, the suspicion from the other passengers' eyes would make you not eat and that in itself was more suspicion. On my way to Warri i chatted almost all through and had someone on the other side disturb all through. This doesn't mean we have fought the war totally against insecurity in the south. in fact rumors have it that it was the directive to stop Police check points that reduced the highway robberies to the minimum. Whether there is truth in that, I dont know and I would not test. Insecurity is not one apparatus that can go into my research test lab. Lets leave it for the Khaki men to do.

That reminds me of the sweetest part of the journey: the stop-to-eat oh sorry "Stop-Over" at Ore. Those canteens in the area have made a fortune, but I am sure the Yoruba party culture won't make them have much investment *runsaway*. Mummy never bought us food at Ore. we would have snacks and at the most bananas. Yes everyone thinks I should have starred in the Dawn of the Planet Apes Movie because of my love for bananas. If only they knew how much of a life saver my bananas were traveling to and fro Warri growing up. She claimed she never wanted us pressed on the road, she was non-tolerant to travel disturbances- baby cries, frequent toilet stops by passengers, driver misbehavior and such other matters connected thereto. The lesson this taught me growing up is that you can always achieve what you want, get satisfaction out of life without disturbing others from achieving theirs. You might only inconvenience yourself a little but it makes the world a better place. If everyone couldn't wait for everyone or tolerate somethings, then the world would be worse than the jungle. DEEP Right?

Talking passengers disturbed the journey so much. But this time, I talked. No, good talk. I was the hero that led the Bus through the best route that took us from Ikotun all the way to Shangisha, close to Berger, towards the outskirts of Lagos. Hehehe, like Moses, I had my fair share of heavy criticisms, uncertainties, annoyances and outbursts while I led, but the good part is it didn't last 400 years, just thirty minutes was enough for the struggle. You see that is why Nigeria is where it is today. Distrust of everyone for everyone. No one wants to give any one a chance for anything and that is why, the National security agency would rather show on national television new equipments bought in the combat against terrorism, than keep classified info and fight it once and for all. Even an amateur player of Call of Duty seeing those helicopters and ammunitions knows how to counter them upon sight not to talk of the Bros of the North. I would add distrust is not a virtue just as impatience is not. 

It might have seemed draggy, but yes that's how my 6 hour journey went. Full of reminiscing and lessons. A journey that should take not more than 3hours 45 minutes. I saw campaigns this year of the past administration making boast of how the roads have been fully constructed; i laughed as i went on this journey because a tiny part of me really wanted to see what the roads have become and i was disappointed. Please this is not a political rendition, it is all for the love of my Warri. I would share my in-Warri experiences soon... In the mean time remember the lessons in italics.

The Ready Writer

3 comments:

  1. Journey to Warri...nice 1 dear...the Ore stop got me reminiscing too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smiles would tell about our Shoprite Effurun deals dont worry. And yeah we could have done the Ore drills together too but ....

      Delete
  2. Awesome, Okezi you are also a replica of the epistle you wrote. I doff my hat.

    ReplyDelete