Monday 19 October 2015

To a Friend, Mentor and G! on his Birthday… Oladeinbo Gilbert

Errr, You would have to pardon me, I never get what your exact names are, I am sure it’s the perks of being a Yoruba boy: I know there is Gilbert, Oladeinbo, Tinuke, Benson, the exact order, I don’t know. Not everyone strikes you with that height of wits, playfulness and mixed with a definite sense of purpose. But here is a big hearty cheer to that one person who has all three at first sight and contact; I forgot to add with really good looks. The description of his beauty is more than the down tone but I can’t do more considering the Anti-Gay laws and the fact that I really have no semblance to Bruce.

Dark, slim and average heighted, his gait almost makes him taller than he actually is. He was on the other block, so I never got to see him until this evening. “That’s him” I got a nudge from Peller as he showed me the guru of the campus. He was swift, brisk and sharp, like he had twitches of duties he had just attended to and had more to do. Simply dressed, of course it was evening service how smashing could you look? That was when I realized I knew him all the while. He was in the choir and had this funny look when the lyrics went on. And then it was testimony time and he walked up to thank God for having his 5th 5point GPA from the last semester. He was in 400 Level. Overwhelmed as I was I realized how one could be real, yet smart, humble and touched by divinity.

I began a semester long course of close observation of his lifestyle. It was the best course I ever took in Uni. And I was definitely the better for it. It wasn’t long before I also got a reflection from his mirror of almost perfection! I also joined the choir (not coz of him though! @Ojhordee made that happen); and I became a debater. He taught me my most effective stage fright dispeller. I won’t share it with you. I watched him sing, anchor school programs, debate, argue, fight for the students’ association’s progress, chair electoral committees, and also watched him graduate as best student overall, no one broke the record yet. There I realized how a person could have such a good heart replete with a resolve to be the best and squeeze out the positive energy for those around in great impact.

I didn’t know anything about his emotional life, it didn’t concern me but I know he had a publicly acclaimed bestie. I have one too (shout out to @blessingbaba). But one thing I was sure of was that he succeeded severally to maintain a healthy one because there was no time his head wasn’t giving him the right signals and requisite resources to make the right decisions. I also realized here, that no matter what it is: physical afflictions, high flying performances and work life balance come from supernatural grace and a strong determination to do the right thing.

His countenance was always cheerful; you would wonder where the energy was coming from. His analysis were top notch, you would wonder what wisdom is this. His support was encouraging; you would wonder what you have done to attract such encouragement. He was choosy about his friends, his words, and even location. Efficacy, excellence and amity were just his lifestyle and I am proud, happy and indeed privileged to know you, be your friend (yes I know I am) and interact with you.
People don’t know this, but celebrating stars whilst they yet glimmer shouldn’t be any different from when it glows. Stars are stars: they are magnificent and shiny, it’s only weather conditions, earth spins and galaxy positioning that affects their appearance per time. I celebrate Gilbert Oladeinbo Benson because he is such a star, a great man, a super destiny; yes soon to be Aviation Minister, and so much other things. Some day when you are old, rich, famous, I would be glad to appear to have identified with you and stayed as a friend for that long. I can only pray that your great aspirations keep you zealous and hearty until God’s exact plan for your life unfolds in your reality for family and friends to stay impacted.


God bless you and Happy Birthday Sir!!!

3 comments:

  1. This was a great read and a source of inspiration for me. Thank you for capturing Mr. Benson in such pleasant fashion.

    ReplyDelete