Saturday 9 May 2015

In my Anger

I would skip the courtesy of the salutation culture we have in this part of the world. Maybe it is as a result of the fact that the discrepancies we see in our side of the world is deafening to the sanity of trying to be on the chart of globalization. One of the most annoying ones is the oxymoron of abundant scarcity of resources, love and appropriateness. No! I am just angry at that discrepancy ... but forgive my manners... that's courteous enough.

This is about my country and I am most passionate to write about it. In fact I am one of those patriotic Nigerians who believe so much in the good the country has to offer to itself and its people. I formed this opinion as a young person to whom little was given from abundant system. But growing up I learnt that it is more blessed to give than to receive; also I learnt that two wrongs don't make a right and now I am learning that you don't pay evil for evil. The truth in that triangle cannot be doubted but can surely be extinguished. Especially when you have given your all and there really isn't anything left to give and nothing to receive. 

I started a campaign sometime ago, although very discrete and private. It was for a cleaner Nigeria. I would get into buses and lovingly rebuke persons who trashed their traffic-belly-buddies: beef rolls *gala* and the ever chilled carbonated drink *la casera* on the beautiful highways of Lagos. I would tell friends about the campaign, tweet and Broadcast about it. I got insults and advice but it didn't stop me. That is just 0.01 percent of the serious work some other nation builders are trying to contribute both individually and corporately. Yet we have a leadership and some other persons who by active and passive practice are determined to run down this nation. The reason for which I have tried to imagine to no avail. 

The recent queues on the street that seem like the usual evening traffic begin sometimes from 5:30 am; the polity is going hay-wire with cross carpeting, reshuffles, threats of law suits against the just concluded elections; the economy in a very booming but uncertain state; education has been neglected on the account of other things to which the country has devoted its time to; the judiciary is rocking in its abysmal state of corruption and ineptitude; tourism, never existed and been suppressed to its barest minimum; entertainment is basking in its forever mediocre status; and even religion that should have been an anchor as in the ancient times has become the hypocrites' creed. 

It annoys me that there is more politics than love in every press statement, news headline, community development project and even corporate social responsibility. By love, I do not mean that unnecessary mushiness between two or more romantics that motivates the extraordinary. No! I mean a drive and commitment towards good, harmony, unity and progress. I mean that concept that crystallizes in the hearts of men that gives them a sense of fulfillment and a motivation for greatness, all because the other smiled and felt good by that one action. 

I won't give any of those motivational write ups that would spur you to want to act and after two letters or actions here and there, you loose the appetite for change and flow in the tide. I would not give any of those thoughtful ones either. Those ones that make you start thinking about what, how and when to do anything for the progress I talk about. No... I would just stop here because I have relayed my anger to you and I think that's all I intended. 

No comments:

Post a Comment