Monday 15 June 2015

Meshack’s Drones (2): Inter-Social Skills

I remember when I prepared my first CV ever. I was going to get a job as a French tutor in some relatively big boys secondary school near my house in Ejigbo, Lagos state. Amidst the litany of certificates I had rained the two paged CV with, I added a column that had the title “skills”. I carefully filled in “I-n-t-e-r-p-e-r-s-o-n-a-l skill”. Yes, it was faster to write the skill because I was practically trying to understand the meaning of the word. I checked it up and I think it meant something in the line of eerrrr a skill that involves relationships between people.

But I was wrong and I rightly misrepresented. As much as people liked me and I liked people I was quite the shy type. I would run away from everything called gatherings and public speaking; I would rehearse speeches and gestures when I had to talk to that fine girl down the street that attended the university I wanted to go to. Yeah well I had not used a phone more than a year before then. I liked calls and did very well texting. So maybe I had a correct notion though. I had a funny Facebook account that had a couple of friends. Oh the wonders I did with that account. I stalked, I deleted annoying friends and I searched for the old friends I had crushes on. Yeah I had a lot of crushes coz my shy-personal-skills didn’t make me talk when I had to.

Years went by, and I got my blackberry. Wow… that thing was a life saver. It helped me cut down on my calls drastically and there were months I would go without instituting a single call but I was in contact with my world. By my first four months I had a contact list of about 100 happy chatterers. There were several classifications: from Friends, to Classmates, to Oldies and even Randoms. Don’t ask me which you were. As time went on, my charter-tele (not clientele) had increased so much I had to cut it down. Facebook was booming and I also decided after some persuasion by fellow charterers to extend my charming presence to the Tweeting world. Sooner than I thought I caught a hold on the vocabulary and tricks.


I had moved from physical shyness to finding a point of expression. Where I could say every-and- anything I wanted to say every time I needed to. I could persuade, dissuade and close any deal online. I could quarrel, love, get angry, happy and even hangout online. I had built up the inter-social skill and it was robust and I could go on with it for so long. But I wonder just how it will look like on my CV. But who cares…..

1 comment: